Sunday, July 29, 2012

Belleau Kitchen Cookbook Challenge


Dom at Belleau Kitchen has challenged us to invite you into our homes and show your our cookbook collections. Now, I have to warn you, my kitchen is unfinished and there are lots of projects which I'm trying to complete by November 1st - that's my "official" deadline!

Below are are a few photos of my cookbooks, which is where I get most of my inspiration from. My interests have varied over the years.  Sometimes I'll just sit down with a coobook and read through it as if it were a novel!  I believe they all tell a story.

I really enjoy healthy cooking, such as a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern, whole grains and vegetarian diet. I also enjoy collecting antique cookbooks, rewriting family recipes, and inventing my own recipes - all with the hope of writing my own cookbook some day.

As I mentioned above, we've remodeled the kitchen, you can't imagine how horrible it was when we moved in.  

Let me take you on the tour.  This bookcase holds some Polish stoneware that I use frequently, my canister set, my favorite series of William Sonoma cookbooks, my Ina books, an antique recipe box, some pitchers that are used a lot and some international cookbooks.


Below is a wide angle view of the kitchen.  As you can see the walls & trim need to be painted, and the tile backsplash needs to be put up.  I have everything, now I need to get it done!  LOL!  In this picture you can see my island, that I love and I make all my recipes on.  Behind me is my Kitchen-Aid mixer (xoxo), dishwasher, sink and range - which I love!  My husband referes to it as "Mary's Harley"  . . . 



This is the view opposite the island.  I like to keep the wine rack stocked!  Below the wine rack is my speed cook.  I can microwave, bake and broil in that baby!  She's a real work horse!



Around the corner is my family room which contains a bookcase that we had built when we remodeled the family room.  As you can see, this bookcase is stuffed!  I try to keep it organized, but it's a job!  LOL!!!  In front of that bookcase is an oak server that has a stack of books that need to be distributed - somehow!  In my header is a photo of 2 yellow chairs, they are next to this bookcase, and sometimes I'll sit there and look through my cookbooks!  


In this photo we've just had this bookcase and coat-rack added.  As you can see, my gown, hood and cords from my graduation are still hanging where I left them when I came home after graduation. If you look closely at the bookcase you'll see my mortar board with the tassel landed on the third shelf!

This is still a work in progress, but I couldn't wait to add some cookbooks and family treasures to see how they'd look.  On the top shelf is a Lenox sleigh that was my moms, and below that is a blue teapot that she received at her bridal shower.  You'll also see some cookbooks, pans and dishes that I use frequently.  I have plans to have cookbooks on every shelf!


Opposite this book case is my kitchen table, where I like to sit with my computer, cookbooks, chat on the phone and go through my recipes.  The table is usually stacked with books to!  This is an older photo, see the snow out the window!  LOL!!!


I hope you enjoyed your visit to my kitchen, next time I'll put the kettle down, we'll sit at the table and have some tea, if you stop by later, I'll crack open the wine!  

Please visit Dom @ Belleau Kitchen after you leave a comment, you won't be disapointed! 

Thanks Dom!  This was fun!  

24 comments:

  1. Indee a fun idea - I do so love glimpses into other people's homes, and yours is exceptionally beautiful and tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is all just so beautiful and kind of how I imagined it would be. You have a beautiful home! I love the collections of books particularly the Williams Sonoma ones they look very stylish. Its just so warm and inviting... you'd better crack open that wine... I'm on my way! Thanks so much for taking part it is extra special to have you on board x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary...how lovely to have a look at your world, and see your beqautiful kitchen & the plans you have for it. Love the range!! Have a happy week xoxo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice kitchen you have Mary and you are so well organized too. My bookcases in both homes are overflowing with books, mostly cookbooks I admit. Now I'm off to check out Don's site.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment on my post and for your warm welcome! Your kitchen (indeed all of the house you've shown us!) is beautiful - I've got real kitchen envy over some of the entries! I'm especially coverting your "Harley" and Kitchen Aid - though I'm proud of my Vitamix (which I won!) which is the only real piece of kit I own. Looking forward to getting to know you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beatuful kitchen!
    Love that range, and I'm thinking that I need a microwave like yours now~~~LOL!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is wonderful to have a peak in someone else’s kitchen...very envious so much space and so, so, tidy-puts mine to shame!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great kitchen. I made you dill pickles and they turned out very well. Check out my post - http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/2012/07/fermented-cabbage-and-cucumbers.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful space and it also looks very functional. That's important!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful peak inside your kitchen remodel! What a lovely space and place for your cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved getting to see your kitchen!
    I was a little shocked though, that I didn't get
    to sit down for a meal :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful space - love seeing the remodel and the perfect place for your cookbooks!!

      Delete
  12. You have a gorgeous kitchen, Mary, even if it is a work in progress at this time. You have so much cookbook space --I wish I had all your space and your beautiful range!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful kitchen! What you're doing is so nice and what a great bookshelf and corner shelves. Just wonderful...you must love putting together a meal there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must be quite the cook. The kitchen looks great and it sounds like you have a huge cookbook collection. I must admit I don't cook as much as I should. I do have lots of cookbooks however!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having sat down at that table many times I can say from experience your whole home is very welcoming. I have to say again what a wonderful job you did on your renovation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a beautiful blog. I love the share of kitchens..humm. maybe not mine. Hahhahahah. but I do share recipes.. I am you newest follower. Happy share. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS Thanks for following me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful kitchen. So glad to have visited. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your kitchen, it's beautiful! Great collection, you seem so organized. My collection is in a few different places, I am running outof room but not the addiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You busy girl! Is that a Thermador range? It looks a lot like ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. gosh, you've got a great cookbook collection. That speed cook looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So THIS is where all the magic happens! What a beautiful and perfect space you've designed! I'll come for tea any old day!

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you've stopped by and I always enjoy your comments! Thank you!