I made this strawberry rhubarb pie because my good friend Susan at From Beyond My Kitchen Window came to vist us in Maine for a few days, and I know she enjoys my pies. And good company is the perfect excuse to bake a pie!
We had such a good time touring around Portland, walking around the Old Port, Munjoy Hill, the Western Promenade, visiting a farmer's market, a fish market and a few other sites.
Would you believe I saw a pie at the farmers market for $20.00 . . . who would pay that?!?!?
We always have lots of laughs! We've been laughing since we met as teenagers (just a few short years ago . . . )!!! My husband has a very dry, wicked sense of humor, and he kept us laughing too! Of course Duke just adores his girlfriend, he loves it when she comes to visit!
So, I'm thinking of entering this pie in a contest, what do you think?
1 pie crust - home made or store bought
- 4 cups of rhubarb
- 2 cups of strawberries
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 pats of butter (broken up and sprinkled around the top)
- 1 egg
- Place bottom crust in the pie plate
- Place fruit in pie plate
- Mix sugar, cinnamon and flour together and sprinkle over top (I like to give the mix a little stir with a fork after I sprinkle it on top)
- Add the butter (you don't need the butter, it just makes the juice velvety)
- Weave your lattice top, crimp the edges and place strawberry cutouts around the edge. I used a strawberry cutter.
- Beat the egg into submission, then give the lattice a light egg wash to get that golden look.
Bake at 400 degrees for 60 minutes in a pre-heated oven!